BIC changes and ninja

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Jul 2 07:30:24 UTC 2015

Hey all, esp. Aleix.

I'm using ninja for a while now and really like the performance I get. But
today / yesterday night I hit a really bad issue. In
kdevplatform:8fc6453bfaf6d85e51071a0bd460701c63e95df7 I introduced a binary
incompatible change. I used that then e.g. for the feature in
kdevelop:28cc1e5fd43ec4f21477251e4104e3a42b221640, and the unit tests worked
fine. But running the real KDevelop I saw tons of strange crashes. Debugging
it, I saw that quite some plugins, such as the CMakeBuilder, did not get
recompiled by ninja and thus still referenced the old, now broken interface of
the IPluginController. This lead to loadPlugin(QString) being called instead
of pluginForExtension(...), causing all kinds of havoc. I now make cleaned
both kdevplatform and kdevelop and build from scratch - lo and behold, it
works properly now...

But this is really unacceptable to me. With make, I never had any such issues.
Have anyone of you noticed similar behavior with ninja? Or is maybe something
else going one on my machine? Also note that I use an ext4 file system mounted
with noatime (it's on a SSD) - could that be the reason?

Can anyone reproduce the above issue maybe? Just checkout the latest master
and build, then see whether it works or crashes in strange places, or asserts
when not finding some plugin.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff