Refactoring features in KDevelop

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jan 28 22:22:39 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 28 January 2015 17:10:54 Maciej Poleski wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was looking for C++ IDE capable of doing (at least partially automated)
> source code refactoring for years. Without success. I have Idea to implement
> some refactoring tools in KDevelop. What would You say about that? I know
> there is GSoC coming on and this seems be quite nice project.

Yes, this would indeed be an extremely interesting project. Note though, that
we want potential students to get active before the GSoC period, to show their
capabilities. Thus, if you want to work on this over the summer, you should
get started *now*.

A good idea would be to get a list of goals, i.e. refactoring features that
you want to implement. Then, you'll need to get your hands dirty with kdev-
clang in the master branch, i.e. also build kdevplatform and kdevelop from
sources and against KDE frameworks 5 and Qt 5. Then try to figure out how to
add refactoring capabilities there. Start by porting existing features from
our old C++ language plugin over to kdev-clang, e.g. the ability to de-inline
a function in a header by moving its implementation to the accompanying .cpp
file.

Overall, it would be a good idea to figure out how one could potentially
leverage the existing clang refactoring tools from our existing codebase. The
problem is that, afaik, these are all inaccessible via the C API we use.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de