RFC: Moving forward with KDevelop plugins

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Aug 12 20:31:34 UTC 2015

Heya,

this is a topic I've been pondering about for quite a long time already...

Currently, we have quite a few interesting plugins in different repositories,
unfortunately they're not available to the wider audience because people still
have to compile them in order to try them out.

I'm thinking of kdevelop.git to hold all the tools you need for general C++/Qt
development. We're mainly a C++/Qt IDE after all, and we should focus on
providing an excellent experience "out of the box" on that matter.

Currently, we have kdev-qmake and kdev-qmljs, both highly useful plugins for
our audience, but in separate repositories. I'm proposing to merge them into
kdevelop.git. For obvious reasons: It makes them available "out of the box",
users don't need to install extra packages; and *we* don't need to wait until
packagers decide it's a good time to package those *at all*. There's still no
official kdev-qmljs package available for Debian/Ubuntu for instance, it just
takes a lot of time and nagging to get there [1].

My proposal:
- Move kdev-qmake, kdev-qmljs into kdevelop.git
  (Very much desired from my side)
- Move kdev-valgrind, kdev-cppcheck, kdev-krazy, ..., into kdevelop.git
  (Nice, too, they're all C++ related after all. Could be disabled by default)
- "Bigger" language extensions, such as kdev-python, kdev-ruby, ...,
  stay in their resp. repository (-> separate package)

Issues:
- kdev-qmake depends on kdevelop-pg-qt. But personally I wouldn't have a
problem creating a dep on kdevelop-pg-qt for KDevelop. kdevelop-pg-qt is
mostly static and can be considered almost a "framework", it's not a fast-
moving target as kdevplatform
- Some of the plugins, like the small checker plugins are in early stages. But
honestly, if we don't get the out we'll never get them tested^Wused by our
users. (-> "release early, release often")

What do you think? I'd be happy to do the work if we come to an agreement. We
can do a subtree-merge of all the plugins and keep the Git history, this is
not an issue.

I'd really like to drive KDevelop forward; we have lots of feature but don't
let the user enjoy them. Let's make it easier!

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=777591