Our Vision

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Aug 4 20:33:18 UTC 2015

On Thursday 30 July 2015 16:58:09 Milian Wolff wrote:
> KDevelop - The Coder's Development Environment
>
> Built on modern open source technology, the KDevelop IDE offers a seamless
> development environment to programmers that work on projects of any size. It
> is built by coders for coders and helps you get the job done while staying
> out of your way.
>
> At the core of KDevelop lies the combination of an advanced editor with
> semantic code analysis, which delivers an enriched programming experience
> thanks to a deep understanding of your project. Additionally, KDevelop
> offers different workflows to assist the coder during the development
> process. It helps improve the code's quality, verify its functionality and
> then deploy it anywhere.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Hey all,
>
> above you find the vision that Aleix and me drafted during the last couple
> of days here at Akademy 2015. After quite some discussions and fighting
> over semantics, the two of us are quite happy with it. What do you think?
>
> Remember: This is a vision, it does not describe the status quo. It gives us
> a goal to work towards to. It will help us make future decisions on what we
> should change and where to improve, and how. It gives contributors an idea
> on where KDevelop wants to go, and hopefully inspires them to try out new
> things which get us closer to our vision.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aleix and Milian

Hi Aleix and Milian,
this does indeed sound like a very inspiring and clear vision, great work!

One thing that surprised me is that there was nothing about programming
languages in there. People might be asking themselves which languages they can
expect KDevelop to support.
If you're open to any language but the core team focuses only on specific
ones, you can state that.
It's not strictly necessary to mention supported languages, of course, but
will make it easier to manage users' expectations.

I'm looking forward to people's reactions on the vision. I'd suggest writing a
blog post about it, to get people excited about the vision and maybe even
about contributing to its realization.

Also: Sorry for not replying earlier, I still haven't finished reading through
the countless emails that piled up in my inbox in the last days and weeks.

Cheers,
Thomas