Kdev-clang master not building

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Apr 27 13:51:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Replying Andreas comment, which was sent only to me.
>

> Oops, gmail reply :|
>

>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > Can one run multiple versions of KF5 on a single system when one of
>> > those
>> > versions is installed in /usr? After all the original issue here is that
>> > people now start to run Plasma 5 based desktops and hence will have kde
>> > frameworks installed in /usr. If an application needs newer frameworks
>> > then
>> > those need to be installed somewhere in $HOME or so and they must not
>> > interfere in any way with the system installed version. That still
>> > ignores
>> > the problem of having to manually build and update all those frameworks
>> > - in
>> > particular having to wait for the build to finish.
>>
>> Yes, it works. RPATH should take care of this.
>> We also have to do the same for kdevplatform and kdevelop. git pull and
>> install.
>

> What about things like helper executables (thinking of kio) and small
> daemons talked to through dbus? I haven't followed KF development at all, so
> really no clue about this but in KDE4 times having two separate installs
> really was only feasible when they where somewhat compatible or neither was
> in /usr/
>
> Andreas

Works fine, in the cases I've tested it. Removing the need of
kbuildsycoca helps a lot, since now we can find stuff only by having
the correct environment variables (PATH, QT_* and XDG_*). Before, we
had to set the variables and then generate the database for those,
which was a big problem, as each run of kbuildsycoca would have a
different set of environment variables on development systems.

Aleix