Kdev-clang master not building

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Apr 27 11:13:39 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, April 26, 2015 23:46:32 Aleix Pol wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi Milian,

>> > Is there a general consensus on wether kdevelop/kdevplatform is allowed to
>> > depend on frameworks master branches? That is, are you expecting all
>> > contributors to build kf5 from git until the first release?
>> >
>> > Andreas

>> It hasn't been discussed yet.
>>
>> Maybe we could require the last KF5 released version.
>> In Plasma master, KF5 master is required and for frameworks the last
>> released version at the .0 release date.
>>
>> The plan is to have distributions packaging newer KF5 versions as they
>> are released. (and it's already happening for Kubuntu and ArchLinux,
>> at least).
>
> That doesn't match my impression of Kubuntu. And which I just got confirmed by
> Riddell & Harald on IRC:
>
> - Kubuntu 15.04 is shipping KF5.9
> - It will very likely stay at that version (i.e. no updates),
>   b/c of the manpower/"paperwork" it takes to update frameworks
> - SICs or other compatibility breaks in KF5 doesn't make it easier for them to
> transition to newer KF5 releases, obviously
>
> Honestly, I don't see the reason why we should break compatibility with KF5.9,
> which appears to be an attractive target given that Ubuntu is shipping it.
>
> And this is for one simple reason: If people need to compile/install
> dependencies to work on KDevelop5, it's always a hassle for them (cf. this
> thread). Let's just make it easier for them.
>
> I'll add the compatibility code to kdev-clang if no-one else steps up to do it
> (it's really not a big deal).
>
> Cheers
>
>> If we consider it's stopping people from developing kdevelop5, we can
>> always decide to require the last released KF5 version.
>>
>> Aleix
>
> --
> Kevin Funk | kfunk at kde.org | http://kfunk.org

I just asked Jonathan, he said that they expect to be able to update
releases from time to time, if there aren't known regressions.
Of course that's not a reason for depending on master (although it's
quite convenient if we want developers to help fixing frameworks,
sometimes).

IOW, thanks for introducing the fallback for previous versions but
please let's not stick to a release number just because.

Aleix