Kdev-clang master not building

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Apr 27 08:05:28 UTC 2015

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 23:46:32 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi Milian,

> >> Are you building KF5 yourself or are you using a distro package? I
> >> cleaned
> >> up
> >> the KTextEditor framework to offer this in range.h/cursor.h there. So, if
> >> possible, update your KTextEditor framework. Otherwise, I'll add the
> >> metatype
> >> declaration again in macro guards.
> >
> > Is there a general consensus on wether kdevelop/kdevplatform is allowed to
> > depend on frameworks master branches? That is, are you expecting all
> > contributors to build kf5 from git until the first release?
> >
> > Andreas

> It hasn't been discussed yet.
>
> Maybe we could require the last KF5 released version.
> In Plasma master, KF5 master is required and for frameworks the last
> released version at the .0 release date.
>
> The plan is to have distributions packaging newer KF5 versions as they
> are released. (and it's already happening for Kubuntu and ArchLinux,
> at least).

That doesn't match my impression of Kubuntu. And which I just got confirmed by
Riddell & Harald on IRC:

- Kubuntu 15.04 is shipping KF5.9
- It will very likely stay at that version (i.e. no updates),
  b/c of the manpower/"paperwork" it takes to update frameworks
- SICs or other compatibility breaks in KF5 doesn't make it easier for them to
transition to newer KF5 releases, obviously

Honestly, I don't see the reason why we should break compatibility with KF5.9,
which appears to be an attractive target given that Ubuntu is shipping it.

And this is for one simple reason: If people need to compile/install
dependencies to work on KDevelop5, it's always a hassle for them (cf. this
thread). Let's just make it easier for them.

I'll add the compatibility code to kdev-clang if no-one else steps up to do it
(it's really not a big deal).

Cheers