Implementing KTextEditor interfaces in KDevelop

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 15 16:02:28 UTC 2014

Hi!

I'm experimenting with implementing the KTextEditor interfaces in
KDevelop so we can load all the plugins. I have a proof of concept
which can load the snippets plugin and execute snippets in a view [1],
[2].

One thing which does not work very well is the toolview interface. The
KTE interface is designed so that the plugin can say "make me a
toolview and give me the widget so I can put my stuff in it". In
KDevelop (or rather, sublime), you can only register a toolview
factory (= factory for the widget) and sublime will instantiate the
widget when required. It's not clear how to connect those two
interfaces, since when creating a view, a KTE plugin immediately wants
a widget to populate, but sublime doesn't give you that.

In my proof of concept solution, I use a factory which has one fixed
widget for each toolview, but that feels very bad.

Thoughts?

Greetings!
Sven
[1] picture: https://i.imgur.com/6x9HMsP.png