KCM plugins

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Sep 14 20:31:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:

> are you registered to kdevelop-devel at kde.org? If not, please do so.
>
> First up, many thanks to your recent contribution in regard to plugin
> via embedded JSON data vs. .desktop files. Last week, at this years Akademy
> conference, I chatted with David Faure about this topic a bit. I always
> wondered why we have our KCMs in plugins and he confirmed that is not
> required
> in our usecase. Probably this is some old code heritage.

You're talking about the plugin-specific configuration right? I thought
that had been moved into the IPlugin interface meanwhile, but I guess not?

That part is indeed mostly 'code heritage', back then (when moving from
kdev3 to kdev4) it seemed like a good idea. KCM's had lots of docs and
where quite easy to setup (though it required a hack to get the project
config file integrated) and in kdev3 the plugins had access to internals of
the project which caused some quite bad interdependencies. And kcm's make
it easy to bind kconfig-files to a ui. Only later on it turned out that
quite some cases in the plugin configurations do not really benefit from
this and not being able to use the binding causes quite some extra code
actually. So in retrospec we should probably have thought about a way of
adding this to the IPlugin interface or so.

As far as the global settings dialog goes, I guess the reason was that back
then we also needed to integrate KTE configs and (IIRC) that was easiest by
having a KSettings::Dialog which means having the settings as kcms. If
there's a better way to this these days/in kf5 thats great.