kompare, libkomparediff2 and KDE Applications 14.12

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Oct 7 22:59:14 UTC 2014

Kevin,

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 07 October 2014 at 15:59:17, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>> Libkomparediff2 has been ported to kf5 for quite some time, kdevelop
>> or kdevplatform frameworks based code (not sure if it's master or
>> frameworks branches) uses it and it seems to work ok there. I wonder
>> when we should merge libkomparediff2's frameworks branch into master
>> though.  For one thing it would probably be a bad idea to release
>> kdesdk 14.12 with kompare based on qt4 and libkomparediff2 based on
>> qt5, also, kdevelop using kf5 will most likely want/need a release of
>> libkomparediff2 that uses kf5/qt5 before they can release.
>
> Hmmm, indeed, I see that it's a mess. What about releasing both, a kdelibs 4
> version of libkomparediff2 from master with kdesdk 14.12 and a KF5 version of
> libkomparediff2 from frameworks with KDevelop 5? We would then merge frameworks
> into master at some point after 14.12 branches, when the Kompare port will be
> ready.

Yep, waiting to release libkomparediff2 frameworks based code until
after 14.12 is fine by me, just wondered about KDevelop's plan, but
maybe they aren't releasing kf5 based code until after then also.

>> So Kevin, are you planning to port kompare itself to qt5/kf5 for the
>> 14.12 release (looks like feature freeze is at the end of october
>> though, so maybe not enough time, depending) ?
>
> My plan was actually to target the port for the next release. It has always
> been the KDE-wide plan that not all applications would be ported in 14.12. I
> almost certainly don't have the time to do that port within the 3 weeks that
> are left until feature freeze (October 29 according to TechBase).

Yep, works for me. I realize the 14.12 release will be a mix of kf5
and qt4 based applications, no worries there.

>> I can help with/do the kompare port if needed/wanted, just thought I'd
>> get some information from the libkomparediff2 users before I took any
>> action at this point I guess.
>
> If you are going to do the port for 14.12, I'm not going to stop you (as long
> as you stick to the freeze schedule and the port is feature-complete by
> feature freeze), but the amount of time I can spend on this is limited at the
> moment.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

With that I'll wait until the kdevelop guys weigh in. If they are
planning to do a release soonish I can see what I can do before
feature freeze, otherwise waiting until after the release (or at least
the tagging) is fine with me.

BR,
Jeremy