Kate / KDevelop Sprint

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Sat Nov 22 15:50:31 UTC 2014

On 22 November 2014 at 15:27, Dominik Haumann <dhaumann at kde.org> wrote:

> Further, Christoph and myself
> recently discussed that having proper support for OS X and Windows would
> also be desirable. I think we should push here more, maybe making it even
> a joint Kate/KDevelop/KDE on Windows sprint.

I really can't emphasise enough how good an idea this is. As someone
who spends a lot of time on Windows and Mac machines I know how poor
the alternative text editors are and how much I miss Kate when I can't
install it. We could win many Win/Mac developers as users if we had an
easy to deploy package on both platforms, and it would be a good
'gateway drug' to them making use of KF5 in their own code. Having a
small targeted goal like deploying Kate would be also give the Win and
Mac teams clear achievable goals to work towards in getting KF5 ready
with active feedback from the Kate community.

I've taken the liberty of cc'ing the Mac list to see if anyone is
interested, and I'd suggest contacting Harald Fernengel who has been
working on a HomeBrew version of KF5/Kate
(https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5) to see if he can attend as
well.

Thanks!

John.