DUChain and anonymous declarations

Denis Steckelmacher steckdenis at yahoo.fr
Thu Apr 10 09:11:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm currently trying to build a DUChain for Javascript code like this:

var f = function() { return 3; }

This snippet declares a variable whose type is a function. This variable
can now be called using "f()".

The variable assignment needs to know the type of the function
expression. In order to infer this type, I run DeclarationBuilder on the
function expression, then an ExpressionVisitor that will return the type
of the expression. The problem is that ExpressionVisitor can only find
the type of literals and identifiers. As the anonymous function has no
name, ExpressionVisitor cannot use DUContext::getDeclarations to get
back the FunctionType build by DeclarationBuilder.

A dirty solution for this problem, that I currently use and that gives
good results, is to "invent" a name for anonymous functions. I do that
by taking the address of the QmlJS::AST::Node representing the
FunctionExpression, and by converting it into hexadecimal. This way,
DeclarationBuilder can build a declaration for the function, set its
return type when it encounters a return statement, and ExpressionVisitor
can use this name to get back the type of the function expression.

I played with Declaration::setInSymbolTable, but I was unable to remove
the hexadecimal name of the anonymous function from the Outline view.
Moreover, the "function" keyword in now highlighted in purple (I had to
choose a range for the declaration and I took the function keyword). Is
it possible to hide a declaration from the rest of KDevelop, while
keeping it available to ExpressionVisitor? Is there another mean for
DeclarationBuilder to build types and to store them somewhere where
ExpressionVisitor can find them?

Denis Steckelmacher