Enabling C++11 for KDevelop 4.7

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Nov 2 13:42:58 UTC 2013

Me again ;-)

Another topic that was brought up before: I want to enable C++11 as a
_mandatory_ dependency for KDevelop 4.7 (i.e. current master) and upward. The
just branched 4.6 is not affected by that.

I want to target the following compilers/features:

GCC 4.7: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.7/cxx0x_status.html
-> Even available in Debian Wheezy (stable)

Clang 3.1: http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html
-> if I'm not mistaken has all the features of GCC 4.7

This should cover all platforms where KDevelop is actually being used. In my
opinion its more important to make our codebase attractive to new developers
than trying to support the ugly software stepchild called Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh567368.aspx
-> Even 2013 is still missing as fundamental aspects as constexpr and
noexcept...

So the question is now whether we want to use the Qt macros like Q_NOEXCEPT
and try to support MSVC 2013 or not... Personally I'd be OK with that if
people really think it's worth it. I simply don't think that we will get a
user base on Windows any time soon. This might change with KF5/Qt5 though, at
which point I'm confident that Windows finally catched up with the other
compiler vendors. Note how rapid they are pumping out new releases which
actually add a lot of new features.

So, tl;dr: Please vote whether we can require GCC 4.7 and Clang 3.1 for the
KDev* codebase.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff