vi mode

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue May 28 21:36:31 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Ok, so I'll first add a bar and then I'll integrate it into the top
> bar if tabs are hidden. Fine.
>
> Cheers,
> Sven
>
> 2013/5/28 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> kate has removed the vi mode status bar (the one which says "VI:
> >> NORMAL MODE" etc.). They display it in their status line instead. We
> >> don't have the status line so it's not being displayed at all. Thus,
> >> we need to do something (or decide we don't need it displayed).
> >>
> >> I would write the code, but I don't use vi input mode and I'm thus not
> >> sure what would be appropriate. I would dislike putting it in the tab
> >> bar (where the line/column number is) since there's so much stuff
> >> there already and not much space available. We could just add a new
> >> status bar, and effectively get the old thing back (iff vi mode is
> >> enabled). Other ideas?
> >>
> >> What would you do?
> >

> > IMO:
> >
> > - when tabs are shown, add a status line for vi-mode and also put
> line/col
> > info there. Basically the same thing kate has, one per view area (when
> using
> > split views).
> >
> > - when tabs are off, put the same information into the area where
> line/col
> > info is, there's plenty of space there.
> >
> > Alternatively I could also live with:
> >
> > - drop tabs completely and hence only have the second option from above.
> >
> > Andreas

I think having the tabs hidden is a corner case. I have seen nobody without
the tabs (I know there's people, like Andreas, who doesn't use them but
that's not the general case). Also given that it's about vim emulation and
vim puts it at the bottom, I'd say this should be at the bottom as well.

Aleix