Clang

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun May 5 14:14:25 UTC 2013

On Sunday 05 May 2013 21:52:59 Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > I'm unsure if it doesn't make sense, but has it been considered forking
> > the
> > current c++ implementation and just replacing the current parser (and even
> > the AST) for Clang's?
> >
> > Maybe it's easier if we do a 1:1 port...
>
> That's what I did in my own fork. Actually I just replaced the
> parser/AST part with CLang's (in a CLangParseJob class) and build the
> DUChain from there, using the helper functions available in
> cpplanguagesupport. That seems to work and I agree it's probably the
> shortest path to CLang parsing.

Parsing alone is not helpful. The most brittle part of our C++ support, and
also the part that requires the most work, is the semantic analysis. So we
really want to use the annotated/analyzed AST that clang provides and throw
away as much of our code as possible (long term).

Anyhow, I still didn't have time to look into it. All I know is from speaking
with Olivier about it. I'll definitely look into this eventually though after
this semester is finally done...

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff