Man page documentation plugin

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Thu May 2 22:29:30 UTC 2013

Hi!

I recently started to notice some quasi-freezes (UI redraws but
doesn't accept events) when moving the mouse over certain declarations
such as QString. I poked around a bit, and tracked this behaviour down
to be caused by the man page plugin. Indeed, for me, calling e.g.
rekonq 'man:(3)/QString'
tries loading the page for several seconds (then decides to launch
chromium, erm, whatever). [1]

That's just sides notes however, the real two problems are those:

1) Why does the man page plugin show man pages for QString? Maybe it
should be disabled if there's other documentation found for the object
(or is it and I'm just stupid)? Is there an easy way to do that (an
interface which tells whether documentation exists for an object or
so)?

2) The kio slave is being exec()'d. That is nonsense, in my opinion,
because even for non-broken pages it might take up to several seconds
for the man page to be formatted and loaded. It should be used
asynchroneously, as it is designed to be used. I can fix that, but it
involves some restructuring and for that I need to know how the man
page plugin is actually *supposed* to work, which I couldn't yet
figure out: What exactly is it supposed to do? Should it show man
pages in the navigation widget, or just in the sidebar (and a link to
that in the nav widget)?

Any help would be appreciated, especially a description of how the man
page plugin should work ;)

Cheers,
Sven

[1] "man 3 QString" works fine however, so something seems to be wrong
in the man kioslave. I don't feel like debugging it right now
though... will report a bug instead.