Please use ReviewBoard

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jul 27 20:17:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:

> This commit could also be cleaned up:
> commit 722457052892e3a79f40f82f3f2e005abcd3f91d
> Author: Vlas Puhov <vlas.puhov at mail.ru>
> Date:   Sat Jul 20 16:15:00 2013 +0400
>
>     BreakpointWidget: Show only file's name, the tooltip shows the full
> path

Adding to what Milian said, commits should have a short description of what
it does in the first line, followed by an empty line and then followed by
an explanation of _why_ the commit is done. That is, what bug it fixes and
why it fixes it (just a bugnumber is often too little), why a given feature
is useful or why some improvement makes the application better. This is
crucial to be able to determine in the future why a certain change was
done, either to be able to apply a similar thing elsewhere or to decide
what to do in case a commit causes a bug elsewhere.

I've been working on codebases with commits such as the above one and its
impossible to safely  change some things because the author - even if
available - has no clue anymore why he did something after 5 years. So its
always a bit of playing a game of chance when doing such changes and this
game is played on the backs of the userbase.