Project Filtering

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 25 06:26:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 July 2013 02:08:41 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I finally sat down to implement a generic project filter interface and
> user
> > configuration. I've published what I have so far in the projectfilter
> > branch, please take a look.
>
> I'm now considering merging this code into master - objections? Before
> doing
> so though, I have to figure out what to do with the current state of the
> pseudo-threaded CMakeManager which breaks this new API...

What does 'break' mean here? Does the filtering not work 100% correctly or
does it crash even more often? In the latter case I think it would be
better to first start the cmake-manager-refactoring and once its
sufficiently advanced so that you know it'll be mergeable within a few
weeks merge the filter branch into master. That way you don't break master
for cmake users for an unforseeable amount of time. If its just the
filtering thats not working all the time or so, its probably not as
critical to wait for the cmake-refactoring. My concern is just that the
refactoring can take quite some time and hence may be delayed for weeks or
even months and having the filtering half/completely broken for so long
means there can't be any releases...

> > What I want to know now though, is whether my fancy settings dialog I
> wrote
> > years ago for the GenericManager actually is useful. I have the feeling
> that
> > its too complicated, albeit powerful.
>
> I think I'll leave this for now until someone comes up with an improvement
> suggestion. Looking on the web though I see that there do exist usecases
> for
> the separated include/exclude rules.

Improving the UI once you have more feedback from users is usually quite
simple provided that the logics are flexible enough. I also think having
include and exclude rules for filtering can be useful/needed for some cases
so its good to have.

Unfortunately I didn't get around testing the branch yesterday, maybe I can
do that sometime during the day today.