Project Filtering

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Jul 23 00:08:41 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I finally sat down to implement a generic project filter interface and user
configuration. I've published what I have so far in the projectfilter branch,
please take a look.

What I want to know now though, is whether my fancy settings dialog I wrote
years ago for the GenericManager actually is useful. I have the feeling that
its too complicated, albeit powerful.

The reason it's so complicated is that it allows a twofold configuration, i.e.
you can configure it to only include certain parts of a folder tree and then
furthermore filter in that selection. Back then I wanted to emulate what
Quanta offered in KDE3 times.

Anyhow, as I said, I think what we have there is too complicated. How can we
make it simpler? Do we need this two-stage filtering? Is it sufficient to only
offer the user a way to exclude stuff?

Furthermore, do you think it should be configurable whether to exclude VCS
folders, object files, moc files, ...? It would easily be possible, but I
somehow doubt it's useful?

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff