OutputModel performance

Alexander Shaduri ashaduri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:32:11 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:25:17 +0100
Kevin Funk wrote:

> I recently noticed that I get serious UI lockups when running a 'make
> install' job inside KDevelop for larger projects such as kdelibs. 'make
> install' here may produce roughly ~4500 lines of output in just a few
> seconds.
> So, the question here:
> - Did anyone of you guys experience similar issues just to begin with?

Just from the user's point of view:
KDevelop is essentially unusable when I'm compiling my project (9 parallel
make jobs). It seems that the outputview just cannot handle it quickly enough.

It's a typical cmake/Qt project compiled with make -j9, the full compilation
takes about 30 seconds and produces ~500KB output (~2300 lines).
CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE is on.

If I set make jobs to 1 or CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE to off, it's all fine.

I'd be grateful if you added this as a test case. Compiling, say, KDevelop
with the same settings should give you the same drop in performance.

Thanks,
Alexander