reduce duplicated ui's for session-picking in a KDE desktop

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Sep 1 07:06:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> On Saturday 25 August 2012 18:40:04 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was a tad bit confused today to see two entries in krunner for
>> picking a session to start KDevelop with. After a bit of digging, its
>> apparently due to the (by default enabled) setting in krunner to show
>> plasma widgets which can be run in a top-level window. We currently
>> have 2 pickers, one is in kdevelop/app/plasma/applet which is a plasma
>> applet and another one provided by kdevelop --ps with a corresponding
>> desktop files making it an 'application' found by krunner.
>>
>> I'd like to propose making the plasma applet not show up in krunner by
>> enforcing that the applet is added to a panel or the desktop -
>> assuming this is possible at all. The reason is mostly to avoid
>> confusion, in addition the kdevelop --ps tool has more features for
>> the sessions (shows the state, allows to start an empty one).
>>
>> Opinions? Comments?
>
> +1 but we really should polish kdevelop --ps as well... It's ugly as hell.
> Something for the sprint maybe.

Not sure what you're aiming at with that suggestion. I think its a
rather simple and clean UI with just enough features to make it really
useful. I can use it with mouse and keyboard very easily. The icons
(even though mis-using the media-playing a bit) are rather clear.

The only thing that might be good, would be improving the default
size. Its rather large for the little content it has, otoh it also
shouldn't be too small so its not lost in the visual clutter on a
standard desktop.

As for making the plasma thing not support running in its own standard
window, I have no clue how to do that, but I'd assume it is doable
otherwise the dedicated runner config setting wouldn't make any sense.