Opening documents and area switching

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Nov 29 03:35:01 UTC 2012

Hi,
>> note, if can't be bothered with the history, goto TLDR <<

So yesterday I started to dig trying to improve the area switching. It's an
issue that depends largely on the graphics driver and the power of your
system but when it can be reproduced it gets quite annoying. The thing is
that when you change the current area it seems like everything falls apart
and restores in a fraction of a second. Not nice.

To fix this I found out that most of the time that was spent on area
changing happened by the closing and loading of files and since the Text
document is by far the most used document type, it seemed like a good place
to try. There what happens now is that the area switching is fast but
there's a small glitch when opening a file with the jump to
header/declaration shortcut, and that's not nice

TLDR:
I'd like if somebody could test those patches and the current master and
tell me if there's any of them that feels specially better when switching
areas and switching files.

I fear that we'll end up having to add a flag for telling if we can delay
through the activationParams, but I'd prefer keep the API as it is.

Cheers, and sorry for the long e-mail...
Aleix