Why is "Show uses" sometimes so slow?

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Tue May 29 01:18:42 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> Have you tried to increase "Language Support" -> "Project Parsing" -> "Minimum
> project size for simplified parsing"? Afaik that should in theory trigger a
> full load - if not I'll have to check the code again.

It is already set to 100.000 files, which is much more than a typical
kernel configuration (typically 6500-10000 files for embedded ARM
configs). So I don't think simplified parsing takes place here.

I have tried replacing some VisibleDeclarationsAndContexts by
AllDeclarationsContextsUsesAndAST in the default arguments provided to
the parser methods of kdevplatform. It seems to have made uses search
more instant (although sometimes the background parser would still
kick in), at the cost of a slower initial parsing (expected) and, more
concerning, a 2.1Gb memory use against 400-500Mb when regular parsing
is done. So I think it might not be the best solution to my problem.
:)

I am trying to see how DUChains are stored on disk, as I think this
might be where the key to best performance resides - store as much
indexed information on disk as possible and just retrieve it instead
of computing it on demand. Will probably not make it for the demo
though, so any other suggestion is welcome.

Alex.