Project and file templates

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon May 21 19:20:29 UTC 2012

On Monday 21 May 2012 15:37:58 Miha Čančula wrote:
> 2012/5/20 Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de>
>
> > On Tuesday 15 May 2012 17:04:31 Miha Čančula wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > My name is Miha Čančula and I'll be working this summer on a template
> >
> > > system for KDevelop. My work is divided into two major parts:
> > Hey, very good initiative :) I also wanted to write you an email and see
> > how
> > you are doing and how your plans are for GSOC.
>
> Yeah, I was going with a very strict schedule. I didn't do anything related
> to templates until today, except reading the appwizard and kapptemplat code
> (fortunately they're both small) end refreshing my knowledge of KNewStuff
> downloads. This week and the next are going to be a bit hard for me,
> because I'll be working while still taking classes, but I have no problem
> with a little overworking because both are quite interesting.
>
> So, today I first added a couple of unit tests for the test controller,
> then focused on the project templates. I'm working on the appwizard plugin,
> but if needed I probably could copy some of the code to KAppTemplate as
> well.
>
> Right now I'm adding a feature to load a template from a local archive file
> in the appwizard plugin. This is in my opinion the logical first step, and
> the second is the ability to download template archives from OCS.

Very nice, this sounds good!

> > Also, if you are at it, please keep other languages in mind. E.g. a way to
> > make it simpler for Sven to write Python-specific "create class" stuff and
> > similar for me with PHP etc. would be very helpful.
>
> Yes, of course. I believe that most of the language differences could be
> implemented only by choosing another template. However, things like
> include-resolving or method overriding can be very language-specific, so
> this will probably have to be done in code. So I have this differences in
> mind.

Neat!

> > Cool, looking forward to mentoring you over the summer. If anything comes
> > up
> > don't hesitate to ask me (or us).
>
> I'm looking forward too :)
>
> The first thing I want to ask it how the name the OCS category for
> templates. Kde-files.org looks like the right place to add it, but I don't
> want it associated with KDevelop only, maybe "KDE App Templates"?

Well, the idea (imo) is not to have it associated with KDE-only either ;-) So
what about just "App Templates"?

> The second question is about code review. The additions to appwizard will
> be smaller that a typical GSoC project, so would you prefer reviewboard
> requests or just keeping them in a new branch?

A reviewrequest will always be a good idea I think. Esp. considering that I
don't (yet) know the internal codebase and this way we could hope for a review
from someone with more knowledge there.

> And once again, thanks for having me on board.

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de