Application for GSoC and proposal

Alexander Rössler mail.aroessler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 20:27:38 UTC 2012

Hello kdeveleop-developers,

I'm an electronic engineering student form Austria and I like to apply for
kdevelop on GSoC. I am using kdevelop as my preferred development
environment for C and so I would like to help you improving kdevelop at
GSoc. I have a lot of experience with Qt/C++, KDE and Linux and I am also
OpenSUSE ambassador for Austria. As you can see, I'm not new to the open
source community. If you like to see my current Qt project visit:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/PhyxCalc?content=149161

I like your GSoC ideas for kdevelop, but I have following to add: When I
developed PhyxCalc I came to one point, where I had to deploy my
application for several Linux desktops. As I am a OpenSUSE user, I knew the
Open Build Service very well. So I deployed my application via the build
service, however, it was quite a pain to get everything working. New
developers, especially developers coming from Windows, might be deterred of
the deployment of applications on Linux (without the build service it is
even more a pain). So I found this on the internet:
http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/2890 This plugin is not developed
any more (and wasn't finished anyway), but I think it would be nice if
kdevelop would have such a plugin. Especially for small projects this would
be perfect, it would make deploying applications for Linux easy (and even
improve the success of the open source community).

Regards
Alexander Rössler (aka Strahlex)