Planning KDevelop 4.4

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jul 3 20:52:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 3. Juli 2012 schrieb Miha Čančula :

> 2012/7/3 Morten Volden <mvolden2 at gmail.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'mvolden2 at gmail.com');>>
>
>> 2012/7/3 Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
>> 'mail at milianw.de');>>

>>> users,

>>> +1 from me as well
>>>

>> I would really, really love to get:
>>
>> http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/104814/
>>
>> and
>> http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/105321/
>>
>> Into the 4.4.release.
>>
>> Is that at all possible? Is there anything I can do to make this happen, or should I just forget about that?
>>
>> I would also like to include the testing framework (branch unittest). I
> know Millian is busy, and it's a rather big change, but I'd like to know if
> it's already too late or not.

Personally I'd say its too late for that one. Big changes with lots of new
code should be merged shortly after a release was branched off so they get
maximum testing time in master. Once the decision to do a kdevelop4.4 has
been finalized, there is no reason to immediately branch that off to get it
tested and bugfixed for the .0 release and open up master for feature
merges again.

I've been doing this for the last 2-3 years at work and I'd like to believe
that the features developed this way caused oly minimal disruption for the
users. Of course it also means having the discipline to always use the
release branch code for daily work instead of master, but I think with git
the switch is usually easy enough to make that bareable.