GSOC 2012

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Feb 21 21:07:45 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 21 February 2012 18:04:18 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2012 11:21:55 David Narvaez wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > > Generally some improvements to our VCS such that it can be rapidly used
> > > would be a good idea I think. I.e. proper keyboard integration, some way
> > > to support "-p" switch for git add,reset,checkout etc, ...
> > >
> > > We've talked about this on the last meeting in Randa and at least Adymo
> > > and me don't use KDevelop for VCS stuff because it's not as
> > > fast/unintrusive to use as git from the commandline
> >
> > Granted git from command line is unbeatable, but I don't have major
> > complaints about KDevelop except for commit template integration[0]
> > and a couple of quirks wrt branching. Is there any write-up on what
> > can be improved and can anything be improved in this GSoC?
> >
> > David E. Narvaez
> >
> > [0]
> > http://barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de/pipermail/kdevelop-devel/2011-October/0415
> > 7
> > 5.html
>
> well, I think there's a lot we can do regarding VCS integration.
>
> For example, we might want to have som GUI to select what changes to
> un/stage, also some visualizations could be helpful too.

re visualization: e.g. an even better git annotate, that supports going back
in time, if e.g. you annotate a file and one line is affected by some
uninteresting patch, show also the previous commit(s) - if that is even
possible... otherwise via git annotate badcommit^ or similar...

so yeah I think there would be lots of interesting stuff here. Aleix, want to
add that as a gsoc idea to the wiki?

bye
--
Milian Wolff