GSOC 2012

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Feb 17 08:08:32 UTC 2012

On 17.02.12 11:00:21, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> How about a project for a DUChain builder based on CLang? Provided
> this is doable (I played a little bit with CLang and don't see any
> reason why it would not be so far), there are many advantages:

Thats not a GSOC project, far too much work.

> - Full support for C/C++/C++11, languages features would not be mixed
> as they currently are (i.e. a C project would raise errors on 'class'
> and such),

How do you know wether a file is C or C++ or has mixed code? Right, you
cannot know that unless its something the user specifies and thats
currently not available and hence would also need to be added.

> - Would relief KDevelopers from having a maintain a language parser,
> which is a huge cost in terms of manpower - would let them truly
> concentrate on IDE aspects

This is untrue afaik. The maintenance cost of the parser itself is
relatively low, it works for most things and hence doesn't need a lot of
work unless you want to add new features. The most work is in DUChain
and thats the part you cannot replace with CLang.

This comes up again and again and sure if it has comparable speed to the
current parser it would be nice to lay off the burden of the parser. But
its a really huge task and needs someone who has in-depth knowledge
about the parser and the DUChain already to complete it in a reasonable
timeframe.