GSOC 2012

Steffen Ohrendorf steffen.ohrendorf at gmx.de
Thu Feb 16 20:24:39 UTC 2012

> the problem of those formats being undocumented proprietary files. How
> should a student figure out what their content is supposed to be and how
> to map that to KDevelop stuff?

That's why I said "maybe" and put it into parentheses. I would say that
initial support for other compilers could be an "appetizer" for VS users to
switch to KDevelop, and you would be able to see how many people want to
switch. If there are only a few developers who want to switch, that fancy VS-
project support would be overkill.

/Complete/ VS support is a thing that /could theoretically/ be developed on
top of the flexible compiler support to support huge software projects where
some of the developers want to use KDevelop, while others keep using VS.

By the way, the VS project files are based on XML, and from my own looks at
them they seem to be relatively easy to reverse engineer to gather at least
basic support for them.

-- Steffen