Unit testing (once again)

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Feb 8 11:30:18 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 12:09:08 Miha Čančula wrote:
> 2012/2/8 Miha Čančula <miha at noughmad.eu>
>
> > 2012/2/7 Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org>
> >
> >> **
> >> Hi Miha!
> >>
> >> First of all, I'm happy you're committed to taking over the Unit Test
> >> framework, it's something we really need! :)
> >>

> >> In my opinion it shouldn't be linked to the project manager, but a
> >> different interface that the project manager might implement. (think of
> >> python or ruby projects). What I'd do is something like we do in VCS,
> >> where
> >> you identify a provider for the project who reports the relevant cases.
> >
> > Ok, I'll take a longer look at that. But I agree it should be something
> > like that.
> >
> >> A provider can be ctest for cmake (it can be implemented by the project
> >> itself) but you can have different ones for qmake or python projects. A
> >> test entry would be some executable+arguments pair to be run.
> >
> > That's what I had in mind.
> >
> > @henry: Yes, I'm trying to do just that, the possibility of different test
> > providers with the same UI.
> >
> >> Do you guys think it makes sense? :P
> >>
> >> Aleix
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > One more question: Apart from a plugin interface, it would be good to have
>
> a concrete Test class that would hold the tree structure, the displayed
> name and executable with arguments. A specialized Job class would be nice
> as well. I'd put both the ToolView and the generators in separate plugins,
> so nothing else is needed in KDevPlatform itself. These don't belong to
> /interfaces, but at the same time I don't think a separate library for two
> classes is worth it. Where can I put these classes?

I think this should be done using our plugin architecture, you can "provide"
interfaces in a plugin and other plugins can then "require" interfaces. That
makes it possible to do what you want I think. Take a look at e.g.
IMakeBuilder and such in kdevelop/projectbuilders/makebuilder/*

cheers

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de