Rough KDevelop 4.6 Planning

Kevin Funk krf at gmx.de
Sun Dec 23 15:23:31 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 18 December 2012, 20:45, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey there, while we are talking about 4.5, I'd like to get some input on
> what you think we should do for 4.6 eventually.
>
> Personally, for 4.6, I hope to land the two big refactorings I'm working on
> currently:
>
> On one hand the Path stuff in the sharedurls branch which promises a much
> more straight forward *and* efficient (local/remote) Path handling in
> KDevelop.
>
> Secondly, I started another interesting refactoring on the weekend related
> to our ItemRepositories. Looking some more at IndexedString, I managed to
> cleanup its API (removing potential encoding pitfalls) while also speeding
> it up quite considerably (about factor of 2 for string serialization, and
> about 20% for string deserialization). I will concentrate on landing the
> IndexedString refactoring first, then also hope to repeat the optimizations
> there for the other item repositories, and - while at it - cleaning up the
> mess of code that is itemrepository.{h,cpp}. I'm confident that by writing
> tests and using our existing tests, I can keep this working without any big
> breakages.
>
> These two should result in a very noticeable performance gain, both memory
> and speed wise.
>
> After that is done, I hope to have some time to investigate the "KDevelop
> commandline" idea we had at the Vienna sprint - lets see.
>
> What do you guys have in mind?
>
> Cheers

Hey there,

Disclaimer: I use KDevelop a lot at work and for other (mostly KDE related)
projects - I'd like to get more involved into the development process of the
IDE.

I like to focus on general quality improvements (tm) first. You may have seen
my work on the bug tracker and some patches on reviewboard recently.

Here's my agenda:

Development process:
I've started to clean up KDevelop's bug tracker and closed roughly 100+ bugs
as duplicate/fixed/whatever until now. The overall state of bko looks much
more promising now. I'll try to keep an eye on incoming bug reports and keep
the tracker contents up-to-date.

UI improvements:
There are quite some places in KDevelop that need some love wrt UI
friendliness. Thinking about the layouting of several config dialog pages,
casing/wording of user-visible strings, etc.
I've already posted some patches that fix some of those bits and I'll keep on
working on that.

In the future, I am probably going to work on the C++ parser support a bit, I
already have some patches in the pipe for e.g. making it possible to parse C99
Compound Literals (WIP).

Greets

--
Kevin Funk