OutputView behavior and usage

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Dec 5 22:17:35 UTC 2012

On 5 December 2012 17:11, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Ivan Shapovalov <intelfx100 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1. The MultipleView's behavior of opening a new tab on each job can be pretty
>> annoying, especially when the same launch configuration is being ran multiple
>> times (debugging, etc).
>> So I propose the following modification: make the tabs reusable (say, by name)
>> + add an ability to "pin" an arbitrary tab to avoid reusing it.
>
> I personally think that this should rather be some kind of
> MultipleHistoryView, i.e. a new tab is created per launch config and
> that can have history. The intention for this is that sometimes its
> useful to be able to look at the output of a previous execution of a
> launch config. The history could probably be limited to 10 items or so
> to avoid explosion of memory over time for keeping all the data. It
> annoys me regularly that this is not possible in Eclipse. Keeping the
> tabs (by having a MultipleView) makes it easier to handle multipe
> launch configs at the same time, in particular interesting in cases
> where multiple processes work together...

If I may, I also think the current output views could be improved.
Most of the time, I find it slightly annoying the number of tabs grow.
So, some mechanism of pinning a tab to keep it without cleared
and sending new output into new tab would be handy.
Or, a way to reuse tab(s).

I was sitting on a train today and was browse through
kdevplatform and kdevelop code to learn about the output views
and I noticed another but related behaviour that could be improved.

The output view and tabs don't get the focus, but they should.
Next, once it gets focus, they could be closed with CTRL+W
as it works for the files (tabs too, a tab represents file/buffer, either
on disk or virtual) in the editor view.
I think such behaviour would prove consistent - I actually was surprised it
doesn't work like this, I assumed it's obvious way of closing files/tabs
regardless the view.

Would it be possible to close multiple tool view tabs with CTRL+W?

Best regards,