reduce duplicated ui's for session-picking in a KDE desktop

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Aug 25 16:40:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

I was a tad bit confused today to see two entries in krunner for
picking a session to start KDevelop with. After a bit of digging, its
apparently due to the (by default enabled) setting in krunner to show
plasma widgets which can be run in a top-level window. We currently
have 2 pickers, one is in kdevelop/app/plasma/applet which is a plasma
applet and another one provided by kdevelop --ps with a corresponding
desktop files making it an 'application' found by krunner.

I'd like to propose making the plasma applet not show up in krunner by
enforcing that the applet is added to a panel or the desktop -
assuming this is possible at all. The reason is mostly to avoid
confusion, in addition the kdevelop --ps tool has more features for
the sessions (shows the state, allows to start an empty one).

Opinions? Comments?