Change a4fea05a43b8fe57b9f43afeb6ed6bd88601c053, Reduce verbosity while reloading

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Aug 17 13:33:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> After double-checking the actual code I take back my comments and
>>> agree with you. The patch is completely ok. Thanks for working on
>>> that.
>>
>> Only thing lacking  (after some more digging through the code) is that
>> File->Reload to reload just the current document will still show the
>> warning. But thats not fixable by us I guess since the action is
>> contributed by katepart.
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> --
>
> That's correct.
> TL;DR: Patches welcome
>
> Also when you change a bunch of files (for example when you git
> checkount <branch>) you'll get all files complaining that they have to
> be reloaded (which is why I wanted to improve "Reload All"). Now we
> have an alternative but I'm not sure if we still want those dialogs
> there, still. Maybe we could add a "Reload All" option to that dialog?
> (which belongs to kate, AFAIR).
>
> I'm unsure what's the best way to solve this, but I'm sure we want to
> improve the control we have there. It has a big impact in our user
> experience.
> In any case, why does KatePart even throw dialogs at us? Shouldn't be
> the host application responsible to handle those cases by providing
> all the needed information?
>
> Aleix

What about reloading automatically files modified in disk that aren't
modified in the IDE and that are not the current document? (I think
the dialog is fine for the current document)

This would solve most of our problems there and also would make us not
to need the "Reload All" action.
It's not that we open documents to preserve their state...

Aleix