Getting Style

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Apr 21 02:41:27 UTC 2012

On Friday 20 April 2012 21:13:57 David Nolden wrote:
> Actually I voted for 2-style indentation, but actually I can also live
> with 4-space indentation (without tabs, those are simply broken).
>
> However, I don't like kdelibs style, we should find some compromise
> which is close to what we use now, just consistent. I think
> format.config.uncrustify.4_spaces should come pretty close.

Yes, I'm fine with that as well. It should just be consistent across all of
kdevelop. I really don't want one part to use four spaces and one to have just
two... Or differences in where to put the * or & etc. pp.

> Why did you write a new uncrustify formatting script for the hook, and
> didn't simply use kdev_format_sources.sh? It's kdevelop-independent,
> and it will be needed, because we need fine-grained rules. For
> example, we won't enforce our style on code which we just copied in,
> like astyle.

Thanks that is a good point. I assumed we could reformat all our code to make
use of that, but with astyle and the svn library this is of course not
possible.

Anyhow, my hook does not really use a "new" uncrustify hook, it's just one
line of code where I call the formatter to get a formatted file I can use for
diffing purposes. We could exchange that with the kdev_format_sources.sh. This
would also allow us to partially test this approach, i.e. apply it to a few
parts where the respective maintainers agree that it is a good idea (like you
and me for the cpp plugin).

Bye
--
Milian Wolff