Development setup

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Sep 27 21:24:53 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 20:13:13 Milian Wolff wrote:
> Definitely locally and make sure to wipe your system-wide
> installation, as� otherwise you can get crashes due to binary
> incompatibility.

This is a questionable advice. If you set up your environment correctly,
things should work fine. I have both KDE in /usr from the distro and self
compiled one in /opt . There was a time when I had a third KDE version
as well. Same can be done for KDevelop only as well.

Things you have to set is:
KDEDIR/KDEDIRS, KDEHOME (if you want a separate ~/.kdeFOO dir for the
local version), KDETMP/KDEVARTMP (to have a different temporary dir for
e.g. the cache, highly recommended), XDG_DATA_DIRS (to find the plugins),
PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH (to find your version of the libraries first).
You should run kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental after the above setup (and
IIRC every time you install a new KDevelop plugin).
This will work fine, but of course care needs to be taken and in case of
weird crashes investigated if the right libraries are loaded or not (ldd
helps a lot).
 The most possible problem could be that your local installation misses
a library for some reason and the system wide library is used instead.
If the versions are binary compatible, you won't even notice it, in
worst case the app will crash.

Anyway, I just wanted to write this down, so people don't end  up
removing their stable version while developing.

Andras