let's optimize: Project::itemsForUrl

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Sep 9 14:45:50 UTC 2011

Hey all,

the function Project::itemsForUrl is *really* slow when we look at the total
amount of time spent in there when parsing a biggish project. I just did that
(with a simple QTimer and a static elapsed counter) and the last output was:

QList<KDevelop::ProjectBaseItem*> KDevelop::ProjectPrivate::itemsForUrl(const
KUrl&) const elapsed time: 56870

Yes, nearly a minute was spent in that function. So I would really like to
improve that.

The code/apaku already mentions this:

        // TODO: This is moderately efficient, but could be much faster with a
        // QHash<QString, ProjectFolderItem> member. Would it be worth it?

I'm pretty sure he meant ProjectBaseItem. The question is, how to keep that in
sync. We could put that into the ProjectModel and update it on every call to
setUrl (if model()) and in setModel. I'm not so sure on the memory
requirements though. We could of course just reuse IndexedString's new
indexForString method, so the mem requirement would be (sizeof(uint) +
sizeof(ProjectBaseItem*)) * N_items. Which is only a bit more than a megabyte
on my machine (64Bit) for 100k items.

What do you think? Any other ideas? I also thought about comparing the start
of the urls: If we could expect to have a proper hierarchy in the model, that
follows the URL path hierarchy, that could be leveraged to improve the
performance as well, by returning early. But I'm not so sure if that could be
done without breaking stuff, as e.g. the URLs inside targets don't follow the
URL hierarchy.

I think I'll give my IndexedString idea a shot and see how it goes.
Objections? Hints?

bye
--
Milian Wolff