unifying libdiff2

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 28 11:25:11 UTC 2011

On Friday 28 October 2011, Milian Wolff wrote:
> If someone is working on that, someone should do it properly. And the
> proper way is to make libdiff2 a proper lib and not part of something like
> kompare.

How's libdiff2 not a "proper" lib? It's a versioned shared library. I think we
aren't currently installing the development headers (oops), but this is
trivial to fix.

> A hard KDevelop dependency on all of kdesdk at compile time is not nice.

You can build just Kompare, and I think it would be very easy to allow you to
build just libdiff2. You don't need all of kdesdk.

> But I want to keep it that way, i.e.: optional.

Then make the plugin which depends on libdiff2 optional.

> > tl;dr:
> - make libdiff2 a proper standalone library

I think making sure headers are installed and allowing you to build the
subdirectory on its own would be sufficient for that. I guess we could also move
libdiff2 from kompare/libdiff2 to the root of kdesdk.

As I explained, for a full split, it's probably best to wait. I think kdesdk
is likely getting split anyway for the git migration.

> - release a first stable version (!important!)

All the versions which we released as part of stable kdesdk versions are
stable versions.

        Kevin Kofler