policy on c++11 in source code

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Oct 20 08:14:31 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 19 October 2011 00:43:27 David Nolden wrote:
> It's simply much too early to require C++0x. Maybe in 4 years, but even now,
> there's no compiler which _fully_ supports it, and it will take even longer
> until the compilers make it to average-joes distribution. It's a pity
> though.

Four years is a bit much. Maybe if we'd use all of C++11 but imo noone
suggests that. Rather it's about cherry-picking nice features that are
available already and work well and improve productivity. See also:

http://marcmutz.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/c98-support-costs-extra/

and:

http://www.macieira.org/blog/2011/09/cxx11-support-in-qt-5/

Anyhow, I also think that a year will at least be required. Or well, we'll
have to wait until the BSD guys have ditched the outdated GCC in favor of a
current CLang ;-)

bye
--
Milian Wolff