source formatting: what is supposed to be automatic now?

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Mon Nov 28 04:55:12 UTC 2011

On 27/11/11 23:00, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

>> Right now it's simply impossible to work on a inhomogenously-formatted project
>> with KDevelop, since the most essential formatting (see above) will be wrong.
>>
>> People will look for such indentation settings in the editor, which is what
>> they are used to.
>>
>> I see how your approach is cool and will work well if all people use
>> uncrustify and projects all come with such a formatting script. But right now,
>> KDevelop simply looks broken for people that still use astyle.
>>
>> I think, the new behavior, i.e. changing the editor settings, should only be
>> enabled, if the user uses uncrustify and a formatting script is found.
>> Meaning: For AStyle users, KDevelop should work like before.
>
> As someone who works on a completely 'misformatted' codebase on a daily
> base I very much agree with that. Breaking existing working behaviour
> for a non-negligible userbase is a no-go, even if it improves things for
> a different part of the userbase. But thats what master is for, identify
> such things and improve on that.

As a person who cannot switch to KDevelop for all C and C++ coding precisely due
to insufficient formatting support, I'd also prefer a solution that does not require
putting shell scripts into codebase. Like, I am sure I will be killed on the spot if
I start adding kdevelop-specific .sh files to GDB.

It would be shame if KDevelop implements a solution that is only good for working
on KDevelop itself.

Thanks,
Volodya