Licensing: (L)GPL v2+?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Nov 26 13:16:20 UTC 2011

Hey all,

I notice that a lot of our files are licensed under the (L)GPL v2, which is not
on the suggested list of licenses of the KDE Licensing Policy [1].

I don't have much knowledge on licensing, and would prefer to follow an official
policy.

This means:

- new files should be licensed under one of the licenses as listed on the KDE
policy page
- I will relicense my files (if there are any that only I contributed to)

Since the latter will probably be just a very small amount, I would like to
know from *all* contributors whether it would be OK to relicense your code as
well. Personally I think using the (L)GPL v2+ as approved by KDE e.v. would be
the optimal choice here. Take a look at the licensing policy and search for
"or for later versions approved by KDE e.V.".

Of course I'm aware that our codebase has probably parts from some
contributors that we cannot contact anymore. We can leave these files out for
now, and try to contact them later.

Does anyone know a tool that lists files with authors and license? Otherwise
I'll have to write my own script that uses the git log and some grep-magic to
find authors and license.

Still, I think we could/should start this discussion even now.

Thanks

[1]: http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy
--
Milian Wolff