Cpp Parser & multibyte chars (bug 274430)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Nov 20 18:36:08 UTC 2011

On 20.11.11 17:41:33, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Saturday 19 November 2011 19:09:07 David Nolden wrote:
> > Using QString is not an option, because it not only affects memory-usage,
> > but also efficiency.
>
> I'd also be interested in why QString should be slower then QByteArray.
>
> I also wonder whether the doubled mem consumption is so noticeable. I would
> not be suprised if it is negleglible compared to the size of the AST and other
> stuff we create during the parse process. I mean it would be in the range of
> $filesize which is rarely more than one megabyte...

Since I don't know the internal structures of the C++ parser I'm just
going to throw in here that each and every qbytearray member that the
structure has will double its size. Also you're talking about 'rarely
more than 1 mb per file', but the parser usually reads tons of files and
IIRC kdev is rather bad at freeing up space it has acquired at some
point.