State of documentation

Olivier JG olivier.jg at gmail.com
Mon May 30 00:09:02 UTC 2011

On 05/30/2011 06:36 AM, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

> Do you happen to know the answer to the other question I had: How to
> *automatically* get auto-completion, without having to do Ctrl+Space?
Kate's built-in completion by default is set to appear after three
characters, this is configurable in "Settings > Configure Editor >
Editing > Auto Completion"
Kate's built-in completion is just words that already exist in the
current document (I'm quite sure, though maybe also language keywords
once the filetype is established).

KDevelop's completion comes from various language support plugins, which
can be used after a given file has been saved (so it can check the
filetype and use the correct language support).
KDevelop's completion is set to appear as you type, right away, pretty
much everywhere that it could possibly complete something. This is
configurable in "Settings > Configure KDevelop > Language Support".
In your case, make sure "Enable Automatic Invocation" is set, I suppose,
though that should be default, so that's a little odd.
Also, by default KDevelop's completion is set to "Minimal Automatic
Completion", which means that just the basic information is shown (just
the function name, with an appropriate icon) unless you call it manually
(with ctrl-space). This will look similar to Kate completion (except
with icons), but it will have full semantic analysis behind it, so it
should still show any item that would be valid at that location (perhaps
this is the confusion you have).
KDevelop's "Full completion" additionally shows the type for each entry,
and in the case of function entries, also the arguments they take. Also,
if you are curently filling in the arguments to a function, full
completion will have an additional info-box above the cursor that will
show you the current argument you are working on.
KDevelop's code completion should also bring-to-top and highlight in
green any completion items that match the currently expected type in
both minimal and full completion, known as "best-matches".
You can set KDevelop to use:
"Always minimal completion" - Never show "Full Completion"
"Minimal automatic completion" - Only show "Full Completion" when
manually called (ie, ctrl-space)
or "Always full completion" - Always show "Full Completion"

Hope that helps,

-Olivier JG