Providing some KDevelop documentation

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Sun May 22 03:35:38 UTC 2011

David,
thanks for the comments!

> * "Projects -> Fetch Project" is actually ment for downloading
> projects, eg. from git, svn, or similar. To simply import an existing
> project, you should rather recommend "Projects -> Open/Import
> Project".

OK, I've changed this now. Do I read your comment correctly as saying that
there are two independent but functionally completely identical ways of
importing a project that's already on the hard drive?

> * One of KDevelop's very nice, although hidden features, is the
> ability to pop-up a navigation-widget by holding the ALT key,
> navigating within it using the arrow-keys, and as soon as ALT is
> released, the popup is closed again. This does not only work in the
> editor, but also works in completion-lists, or in quickopen-lists.
> Most of the information I wrote at
> http://zwabel.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/code-navigation-in-kdevelop4-meet-th
> e-magic-modifier/ could be transferred into the documentation.

Nice. Is this a good start:
  http://userbase.kde.org/KDevelop4/Manual/Working_with_source_code#Exploring_source_code
? And is it true that you get the same information by holding down the ALT key
as by hovering the mouse over a symbol and by using the "Code browser" tool?

> * Regarding the code-navigation features: [...]

  http://userbase.kde.org/KDevelop4/Manual/Working_with_source_code#Navigating_in_source_code
Comments?

While we're at it: The "Navigation" menu has entries "Next/Prev Outputmark". I
haven't managed to get them to do anything for me, which correlates with the
fact that I don't know what an output mark is. Do you have a brief
explanation?

Best
 W.

Wolfgang Bangerth                email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu