regarding xdebug

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat May 21 14:40:18 UTC 2011

Anirudh, 19.05.2011:
> I had the following queries:
>
> 1. The step into instruction , step over instruction and run to cursor
> at present don't do anything  at present. Is it implementable?

KDevplatform definitely has support for that. The question is rather whether
XDebug can do that, but I think so. Either it has built-in support for it, or
you need to emulate it:

step over instruction:
- use PHP tokenizer to find end of instruction (probably ; or } token?)
- set temporary breakpoint at end of instr
- continue
- remove temporary breakpoint

step into instruction:
- find use at curser and set temp breakpoint at begging of its context?

run to cursor:
- as above just simpler (cursor is available through editor controller)

> 2. Everytime run sql is clicked kdevelop crashes. Is it only my
> problem or a general   thing.

this is unrelated to xdebug (afair). This is probably the SQL plugin in
Quanta. A backtrace is required to fix this. Right now I don't have the time
to look into it, but if you show me the backtrace I can maybe fix it
nonetheless.

Anyhow, you can ignore it for now and concentrate on XDebug.

> 3. The arrow which tracks execution is not visible even if icon border
> is enabled.

Does it work in GDB plugin? If so, the question is again whether XDebug gives
you the required info (i.e. where in the source did it stop).

> 4 . What additional features can be added to xdebug

It's been a long time since I used it. But a solid debugger would be good.
Sadly I've still not found the time to look at what it already does and what
is missing - sorry. But after the 26th I've lots of time for KDevelop again.

Anyways, if you are looking for stuff to do (besides the above), check the
XDebug documentation and look for missing stuff :)

> I got into touch with nsams on irc as I had read his blog about
> xdebug. He said that maybe run to cursor , step into instruction ad
> step over instruction werent available for xdebug. So he suggested to
> move it to gdb plugin only or to remove it completely if its of no
> real use in   xdebug.

See above, imo it's very useful. The tokenizer is very stable and reusable
(PHP code completion uses it), so you can reuse that to emulate it.

> He also said that run sql thing might be a general problem and sql
> plugin needed a revamp. He suggested to borrow it from kate as kate
> has a nice sql plugin.

sure, sounds nice. But you should concentrate on XDebug for now.

>  He said there might be a bug with icon border.

Maybe, others?

> Your comments?

See above. Also note that I CC'ed the kdevelop-devel mailing list, if you have
not registered there yet, please do so now:

bye

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de