Plugins depending on the standardoutputview with no Ui

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Mar 23 08:45:22 UTC 2011

On 23.03.11 02:52:02, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 22.03.11 23:07:55, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > As I've said at some point in IRC, the problem here is that the
> > StandardOutputView plugin requires Ui. I think that we should be able to
> > provide some alternative to our current plugin in case we don't have UI. We
> > don't have the logic to decide that yet, but I think that shouldn't be very
> > hard to make it possible to provide NoUi-only plugins.
> >
> > I'm interested in it for my static analysis system (buildtools also require
> > StandardOutputView through makebuilder) and I think I can do it quite
> > simply.
> > Also, having Gluon creator as a kdevplatform user opens the possibility to
> > have it used outside KDevelop which is something good I think, mainly
> > because their needs will be very close to Plasmate's, which may also benefit
> > from this feature.
> >
> > Any thoughts against it?
>
> The outputview is not the only problem - at least for the svn plugin.
> There are various code-paths that can lead to GUI code being executed so
> its _not_ safe, possible or wanted to use those plugins in a non-gui
> application. At least for svn, people should simply use the svn C
> library or a C++ wrapper on top for their non-gui apps. For other
> plugins it might be useful to extract the non-gui code into separate
> libs that people can use.

PS: The KDevPlatform codebase has not been written with non-gui apps in
mind, hence you can always run into code-paths where suddenly ui is
needed. As the no-ui mode usually is used without KApplication or at
least without X11 connection, that means your app will crash at that
point. Its pure luck that there are some things you can do with
kdevplatform without requiring a gui application.