Icon border broken with KDE 4.6.0?

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 6 15:02:19 UTC 2011

2011/3/6 Vladimir Prus <ghost at cs.msu.su>:
> On Sunday, March 06, 2011 17:09:12 Alexander Shaduri wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 16:35:44 +0300
>>
>> Vladimir Prus wrote:

>> > This was an explicit change that I've made. Do you know any other IDE
>> > that does not set a breakpoint when the gutter is clicked?
>>
>> KDevelop 3 comes to mind (I used it for years...).
>> Also, I use bookmarks a lot more than breakpoints, especially when browsing
>> code. And there's not much need for a breakpoint in a TODO file, for
>> example. If this is an intended change, please at least make it
>> configurable, so that the users can decide whether they want it or not.
>
> This might be a good idea, though I'm not sure what I think about
> changing such basic behaviour per user.
>
>> Another option would be to set breakpoints by default in Debug area,
>> but use bookmarks in the Code area.
>
> Oh, I'm about 99% this will confuse the heck out of everybody.

It would be the correct behavior still. Unless the user has declared
some intention to actually debug, it doesn't make sense to set
breakpoints with a single click. All those "frequency" analyses are
purely subjective and user-dependent. Me for example, I haven't used
the integrated debugger _ever_ (I think i don't have the correct gdb
version so it doesn't work). Still, I permanently accidentally toggle
breakpoints. This is annoying. Also in the review-area, where the
border is used for something else, I permanently accidentally set
breakpoints by clicking one pixel off the line I'm aiming at. The
worst thing is that the breakpoint cannot be disabled by performing
the same click, but I guess this is simply a bug.

We could simply fix the context-menu, store the choice per-area, and
initialize it with "No Action" in Review area, "Breakpoint" in Debug
area, and "Bookmark" in Code area.

Greetings, David