Icon border broken with KDE 4.6.0?

Alexander Shaduri ashaduri at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 14:36:29 UTC 2011

Hello,

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:18:23 +0300
Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > KDevelop 3 comes to mind (I used it for years...).
> > Also, I use bookmarks a lot more than breakpoints, especially when browsing
> > code. And there's not much need for a breakpoint in a TODO file, for
> > example. If this is an intended change, please at least make it
> > configurable, so that the users can decide whether they want it or not.
>
> This might be a good idea, though I'm not sure what I think about
> changing such basic behaviour per user.

Well, for me the current behavior decreases productivity, so I guess
it _is_ a user-specific behavior.

> > I used it for setting breakpoints in the old days. I would still like it
> > for setting bookmarks even when debugging, since I use mouse for
> > browsing and bookmarking is a great way to quickly mark some places
> > you want to revisit.
>
> Is Ctrl-B not an option for you?

That's what I'm using now (that I have to), but for me it's not as fast as
just clicking the border when browsing.

> I am not sure where to go from here, to be honest. Gone context menu seems like
> a bug, so filing it is good idea. I vaguely recall there were some technical
> quirks there. As for customization the behavior on left click, and "toggle breakpoint",
> I suppose filing a bug is also possible, but I'm not sure either of these will be
> done soonish.

In case anyone has doubts about the frequency of bookmarking:
Say, I read / write the code 90% of time time and debug it 10% of time time
(I think debugging is much less than that actually). I use bookmarks constantly
when reading and writing code (for example, I usually have 10-20 bookmarks
at the end of the day, considering KDevelop doesn't restore them on restart).
When debugging, I may use 1-2 breakpoints. There are days when I don't
even run the debugger. So, I'd say, on average, breakpoint frequency is 2-5%
of the bookmark frequency for me.

Cheers,
Alexander