unreleased kdevelop pg and kdev-php dependency

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Mar 2 11:55:06 UTC 2011

Andreas Pakulat, 02.03.2011:
> On 02.03.11 01:00:27, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > I've just been told that archlinux is not packaging kdev-php support
> > because there's a kdev-pg-qt dependency and it's not released yet.

There is a stable kdev-pg-qt release. they should use this.

> > I see two issues here:
> > - Why isn't there a kdev-pg-qt release? It doesn't need to be a 1.0
> > version, it can be 0.33, but it should be released I think.
>
> You mean the released kdev-pg-qt version is not sufficient anymore to
> generate the parser for kdev-php? Hmm, tried that right now and it does
> seem to work. The 0.9.0 release of kdev-pg-qt is available on
> download.kde.org/stable/kdevelop-pg-qt/0.9.0/src/. But I see one
> problem: kdev-php does not have a FindKDevPG-Qt.cmake file, so finding
> kdev-pg-qt is unecessarily hard with it. kdev-php should include a copy
> until kdevelop-pg-qt has switched to cmake-config-files.

this is true, the old "stable" release is supposed to work fine with even the
newest php plugin releases.

but @The_User: maybe a new release is in order?

> > - Why is kdev-pg-qt a kdev-php dependency? The files generated by the
> > parser generator should be versioned together with the project, so that
> > the users who want to compile don't have to care about that. It's how it
> > works in most projects anyway...
>
> That was the case in the past, I forgot what the reason was for removing
> that part. Either Milian knows or git log.

because:

a) it's a royal pita to remember to update the generated files
b) kdevelop-pg-qt is simple to install
c) 99% of the users don't care as they download packages anyways and this is
just a build-time dependency

meaning: I won't revert this change.
--
Milian Wolff