Find uses/rename is being painfully slow

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Tue Mar 1 20:53:50 UTC 2011

2011/3/1 Dmitry Risenberg <dmitry.risenberg at gmail.com>:
>>> I've tried adding the document for parsing twice - simple parsing with
>>> normal priority and full parsing with low priority. This way renaming
>>> speeds up a lot.
>> I cannot see how this could speed up the renaming. Before uses can be
>> searched, the _full_ parsed result is required anyway.
>
> The full parsing is performed in background when there are no other
> parsing jobs, so that the user won't have to wait for it when he calls
> for a rename.

But the user has to wait until the rename is finished anyway.. also he
wants to see a preview of the items are will be renamed, so where's
the gain?

>>> However, there is still a problem - some of the files are reparsed too
>>> often (on every startup, even if they are not changed), and this kills
>>> most of the gained benefits. I'm trying to debug this issue, but it is
>>> complicated, because there are no unit tests for background parsing
>>> and duchain. Looks like the call for 'featuresSatisfied' on
>>> preprocessjob.cpp:199 is failing, but I can't track why.
>>>
>>> So the question is - how can I debug duchain-related code and see what
>>> is stored in duchain - which file, with what features, when it was
>>> parsed, etc.? And is there any special way to debug updating-related
>>> issues?
>>
>> We'll have to live with the fact that we need to re-parse nearly
>> always. For example, it's enough if you open one central header-file,
>> insert one character and remove it again (the revision is now
>> changed), now you start your rename, parse everything, and when you
>> re-start kdevelop you will have to re-parse everything again, because
>> the document revision is different.
>
> I am aware of that, but I mean opening/closing without changing
> anything - some open files still get reparsed, and mostly the same
> each time. I want to fix that, because it may become costly if full
> parsing is performed.

I don't exactly remember, but maybe we assign different revisions to
open documents than to closed documents (depends on kate). We probably
should always force the revision to zero for documents without a
difference to disk.

> By the way, also tried QtCreator today - it is much faster in renaming.

We can reach the biggest gain by doing a pre-grep to filter out the
candidate files beforehand, as I wrote before. I will try this now.

>> In future, we should consider using something like "semantic
>> revisions", eg. special persistent revisions which we only increase
>> for a document when a part of its public interface has changed (a
>> macro, public function or public class was changed). Right now, we
>> basically do it the same was as gcc, which only looks at
>> modification-times (from what I know).
>>
>> The updating stuff can be debugged, by commenting out
>> DEBUG_NEEDSUPDATE in modificationrevisionset.cpp. However, I debugged
>> this code many times, and most probably the only problem are these
>> document revisions.
>
> I'll try it, but I also want to check "dumping to disk", particularly
> the m_features members in ParsingEnvironmentData and TopDUContextData.
> Could not find the saving code anywhere.
It has no saving code, it is mapped directly onto disk.

Greetings, David